This quiz was composed by Henry G. Bosch, originator and 25-year editor of the devotional guide, “Our Daily Bread.” This quiz ran in the Grand Rapids Press in December of 1994 and has been edited for our use.
1. Jesus was born about how many months after John the Baptist? _6 months – Luke 2:36_
2. Jesus’ grandfather’s name was _Jacob – Matt. 1:16_
3. The Gospel of Mark does not speak of Jesus’ birth, but it does tell of his boyhood.
True ( ) or False (X ) — no information at all
4. The Bible tells us there were three wise men or magi who came to visit Jesus.
True ( ) or False (x ) – just plural
5. The star which the wise men had seen in the East reappeared long enough to direct them to the stable where Christ was born. True ( ) or False ( x ) – to the house, Matt. 2:11
6. The wise men did not have to guess which town Jesus was born in as Herod was able to send them directly to Bethlehem. True ( x ) or False ( ) –Matt. 2:8
7. When the wise men came, they saw Jesus and Mary, but the Bible does not mention Joseph being present. True (x ) or False ( ) –Matt. 2:11
8. How were the wise men warned of God not to return to Herod? Choose one:
a. ____ An angel told them
b. ____ They thought it over and reason and good sense told them it would be unwise.
c. __X__ They were warned in a dream not to do so – Matt. 2:12
9. How many dreams did Joseph have in connection with the birth and young childhood of Jesus? 4. 1. Matt. 1:24; 2. Matt. 2:13; 3. Matt. 2:19; 4. Matt. 2:22_____
10. The Bible says the magi rode on camels. True ( ) or False (x ) – no information
11. One of the Gospel records traces Jesus’ ancestry all the way back to Adam. Which one? ___Luke 3:23-38_
12. Mary took Jesus as a baby to Jerusalem. True ( x ) or False ( ) – Luke 2:21
13. When Mary went to visit the home of Zacharias before the birth of Jesus, she…Choose one;
a. ______ kissed her cousin
b. ______ received a message from Zacharias
c. ______ felt “the babe leap in her womb.”
d. __x____ saluted Elizabeth – Luke 1:40
14. And old man and an elderly woman saw Jesus when he was a tiny baby. What were their names? __Simeon – Luke 2:25____________ and ____Anna – Luke 2:36______
15. Where did these elderly saints see Jesus? _temple — Luke 2:27, 37______
16. Which one of these aged souls had definitely been married? __Anna – Luke 2:37_______
17. The woman was old, but less than ninety years of age. True ( ) or False ( x ) – 7 married +84 widow= 91 – Luke 2:36-37
18. Jesus had a distant relative who was struck dumb and probably deaf for a period of time. What was the relative’s name? _Zechariah – Luke 1:18ff (John the Baptist’s father)___
19. The wise men arrived at the manger after the shepherds. True ( ) or False ( X ) – house –Matt. 2:11
20. When the shepherds came, they found not only Jesus, but Mary and Joseph lying in a stable. True ( ) or False (x ). Luke 2:16 —
Lying – κείμενον from keimai– Accusative, singular, masculine and Neuter Present Participle